17 January 2011

Brussels sprouts in olive oil




For some fun, I've decided to take pics of some foods I eat and write a bit about them.

For example, these Brussels sprouts in olive oil.

I made a bunch of them for my family and me. They all declined, even my grandma. So I ended up eating them for dinner and for breakfast!

But seriously, they're not only delicious (an acquired taste, I guess), but they're also packed with fiber, carotenoids, vitamins, and minerals.

In addition, like other cruciferous vegetables they do contain some sulfur-rich chemicals that are potentially cancer-protective.

These chemicals are called glucosinolates. When they are chewed they end up as hydrolysis products like indole-3-carbinol.

The breakdown products appear to stimulate the body to eliminate carcinogens more easily and/or by inhibiting cells from becoming cancerous.

They might even induce genomic effects, increasing production of glutathione S-transferases, which metabolize isothiocynates and several other compounds including known carcinogens.

According to epidemiological evidence, eating cruciferous veggies can lower risk of lung, colorectal, prostate, and breadt cancer.

That's why I try to eat cruciferous at least twice a week.

Why the Brussels sprouts? Why not enjoy other cruciferous like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and bok choy?

Mainly, it's because I love the sprouts, especially with olive oil as pictured here. The complexity of its flavor is what I go for really.

But also because they have roughly four times as much glucosinolates than other types of cruciferous veggies.

That's a heavy dose of cancer protection for each sprout!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: